Home Tips for Business Changing the purpose of premises
Updated: 2015-01-09 09:11

Changing the purpose of premises

The following activities are permitted in residential buildings/houses (one or two apartments, apartment blocks (three or more apartments)) or premises used by their owners for residential purposes without changing their purpose and making an additional entrance:

  1. Mail-order or internet sales;
  2. Computer programming, consulting and related activities;
  3. Information services;
  4. Insurance, reinsurance and pension funds with exception of mandatory social insurance;
  5. Activities auxiliary to financial services and insurance;
  6. Real estate transactions;
  7. Legal and accounting activities;
  8. Management consulting activities;
  9. Architectural activities;
  10. Engineering activities and related technical consulting;
  11. Photography;
  12. Translation ad interpreting;
  13. Pre-school education;
  14. Pre-elementary education;
  15. Elementary education;
  16. General secondary education;
  17. Artistic activities;
  18. Library and archive activities;
  19. Museum activities;
  20. Social work not related to housing.

The following activities not violating living and operating conditions of the third parties are permitted in the hotel, administrative, trade, cultural or recreational buildings or premises without changing their purpose and making an additional entrance:

  1. Sports activities;
  2. Repair of computers, personal and domestic appliances;
  3. Activities of hair and beauty salons.


In other cases the purpose of the premises needs to be changed to carry out the activities that were not mentioned above. The purpose of residential premises to commercial is carried out at the department of city planning and architecture of the territorial municipal administration (names of departments may vary depending on municipality) by obtaining special architectural requirements and other special requirements (if any) to draw up a design. This will probably also call for the adjustment of premises (e.g. making a separate entrance) and for acquiring the consent of the majority of the building residents/owners.

The following is required when activities are carried out in the residential apartment block or when the purpose of premise is changed from residential to commercial:

1. Consent of the building co-owners (granted by the association of residents or individual co-owners). Supervisory institution: municipal administration.

2. Design for change of premises or building.

3. Written consent with the building design (such consent is granted by the department of city planning and architecture (names of departments may vary depending on municipality))

4. Declaration of completed construction or change of purpose (issued: the State Territorial Planning and Construction Inspectorate under the Ministry of Environment).

When changing the purpose of residential premises to commercial, the following must be considered: a separate outside entrance; the rearrangement must meet architectural, hygiene, fire safety, environmental and technical construction requirements for residential buildings.